Fashion Beams Traffic Exchange

Sunday, September 26, 2010

World Longest Cucumber - World record set by Clare Pearce

A grandmother in Britain grew two huge cucumbers but was in a pickle when the largest decomposed before Guinness World Records could verify its size.
Clare Pearce's largest cucumber was at least 47 inches long; Frank Dimmock of Thame, in Oxfordshire, set the current Guinness cucumber record of just over 41 inches more than two years ago, London's Sunday Telegraph reported.
However, Pearce's smaller cucumber, at 42 inches, could set a new record if its size can be verified before it decomposes, the newspaper said.
Pearce, 78, said she didn't do anything special to grow the vegetables.
"I've never grown cucumbers before, but I knew it was massive. My daughter contacted the Guinness World Records but apparently we needed a horticulturist to verify it, and we didn't know one," Pearce said.
Pearce said she planted cucumber seeds in her garden in Whittlesey, near Peterborough, in May. The largest one grew until August, when it fell from the plant and started decomposing.
"I just watered them. The only thing I can think that I did differently was that once, fairly early on, I was feeding the tomatoes with tomato feed and I had a bit too much, so I used up what was left on the cucumbers," Pearce said.
Pearce is trying to determine if her remaining cucumber has set a new record.

No comments:

Post a Comment